Disability Equality Scheme and Access Plan

The person who has responsibility for children with Special Educational Needs (SEN) is called the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO). At Kingsley, the SENCO is Mrs Abbi Northover (


  SEND Information Report - issued 10 January 2017

 How does the school know if my child needs extra help?




If your child already has an identified Special Educational Need (SEN), their primary school will inform the SENCO at Kingsley.

Kingsley Academy works closely with primary schools to support children with SEN in Year 6 as they come into Year 7.

When your child starts at Kingsley Academy, they will be assessed so that any difficulties can be identified as soon as possible.

The school listens to parents. Sometimes the first signs of difficulty are discovered through conversations with parents who are always welcome to contact the school to discuss concerns.

If the school has concerns about your child’s learning you will be contacted by the SENCO to discuss your child’s needs.

 What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?


You can either contact your child’s form tutor or the SENCO in any of the following ways:

By phone:  0208 572 4461

By letter:  Kingsley Academy, Prince Regent Road, Hounslow, Middlesex, TW3 1NE

E mail: (SENCO’s e mail)

 What kinds of special educational needs are provided for at Kingsley Academy?

At Kingsley Academy, we provide for the range of needs outlined in the SEND Code of Practice

This includes:

  • Communication and Interaction difficulties (e.g. speech, language and communication disorders, autism)
  • Cognition and Learning difficulties (e.g. moderate learning difficulties, dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia)
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health difficulties (e.g. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder,  may also include becoming withdrawn or isolated, as well as displaying challenging, disruptive or disturbing behaviour, anxiety or depression, self-harming, substance misuse, eating disorders or physical symptoms that are medically unexplained.
  • Sensory and/or physical needs (e.g. hearing impairment, visual impairment, medical needs.

 How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?



All children will have high quality teaching in all lessons.  All teachers are trained to adapt lesson plans to suit the needs of every child.

Most students will follow a full timetable and some will have access to support in some lessons.

Some students might be withdrawn from some lessons for short periods so that they can benefit from specialised intervention.  However, some children may require an adapted timetable.

You and your child will have opportunities to discuss GCSE subject options in Year 8 to support you both to select subjects based on your child’s strengths and interests.

What kind of support is available for children with special educational needs at Kingsley Academy?



How are decisions made about when children require extra support?

All children will have high quality teaching in all lessons. This means that teachers will have high expectations of all children and will take different needs into consideration when planning and delivering lessons.

Some children with identified special needs will also require additional support or different strategies. This may include:

  • An individual student profile to help teachers to plan for the child’s needs more effectively
  • Access to in-class support
  • Small group withdrawal
  • Access to a key worker
  • Intervention programmes to help develop literacy and numeracy skills
  • Guidance and advice for teachers from the SEND Department
  • ·Staff training
  • Regular monitoring of progress
  • Achievement Forums (meetings to discuss the progress of your child)
  • Adapted timetables
  • Access arrangements for children taking exams and controlled assessments

All children benefit from regular pastoral care provided by their form tutor and Achievement Leader (Head of Year). For children with social and emotional needs, additional support may be provided by the senior leadership team, subject teachers, key workers or the safeguarding team. Support is also available from trained counsellors and advisory teachers for behaviour and learning.

If your child has a statement of special educational need or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan, the additional provision they require will have been discussed with yourself and other professionals when your child starts at Kingsley Academy. The additional provision will be included in the statement or EHCP. 

Not all children identified with special educational needs will require all of the above support. The type and amount of support your child may require will be discussed and agreed by:

  • Looking at your child’s academic, social and emotional progress
  • Feedback from their teachers
  • Discussions with you and your child

 How are teachers in school supported to work with my child?

All teachers and teaching assistants are given training to help them identify children’s needs and help them plan to meet these needs in the classroom.

Members of the SEND department support staff in meeting the needs of students who require additional intervention to improve their progress.

All staff are provided with suggested strategies to use to support a child with SEN. Some students will have a more individualised list of strategies that staff can use.

Members of the SEND department have had training in the following areas:

  • Dyslexia
  • Speech and Language
  • ADHD
  • Autism awareness
  • Catch up numeracy
  • Literacy

 How will you measure the progress of my child in school?

  • Half-termly teacher assessments in all subject areas
  • Feedback from parents and children
  • Feedback from staff
  • Monitoring attendance
  • Monitoring rewards and sanctions

How  the school is made accessible to children with SEN? (Including after school clubs etc...)

Some children may require additional resources or equipment to help them access the curriculum in class. If your child requires additional resources, this can be discussed with you and your child.

All children are able to access the full range of after school clubs on offer at Kingsley Academy. Form tutors will actively encourage your child to join an appropriate club, depending on their interests. If your child has needs that require specific resources to enable them to fully access activities, this can be discussed with you and your child.

 How will my child be involved in making decisions about support for their SEN?

All children are encouraged to share their views about learning with their form tutor, subject teacher or SENCO. For children with SEN who have key workers, they are actively involved in developing and reviewing their student profile. The profile includes information about the child’s strengths, areas of difficulty and strategies that can be used to remove barriers to learning and improve progress.  If your child has a statement of special educational needs or an EHC plan, they will be asked to provide feedback on the quality of their support and the impact it has had on their progress.

 How will I be involved in making decisions about support for my child’s SEN?

 All parents are invited to comment on their child’s progress reports and are also invited to annual parents’ evenings. Parents must monitor their child’s diary or planner on a regular basis. In addition, you will be invited to contribute your views and ideas at all stages of planning for your child’s SEN support. This includes developing and reviewing your child’s student profile. If your child has a statement of special educational needs or an EHC plan, you will be asked to provide feedback on the quality of your child’s support and the impact it has had on their progress.

 What support could I access, as a parent of a child with special educational needs?

 The SENCO can provide support on how you can help your child at home.

If you would like access to an interpreter to support you in meetings with the school about your child (including parents’ evening), this can be arranged by contacting the form tutor or SENCO.

There is information about SEN services available to you on the Hounslow Local Offer website

What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the school?


  • Learning specialists
  • HI, PD and VI specialists
  • Targeted Youth Support
  • Social Care/Social Services
  • Speech and Language Therapy service
  • Occupational Therapy service
  • Children and Adolescents Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
  • Educational Psychology service
  • Hounslow Youth Counselling service
  • TAMH

How will you support my child when they are leaving this school or moving to another year group?


For children transferring from primary school:

  • Primary transfer meeting for Year 6 students where SENCOs share information
  • Primary transfer day for Year 6 students to attend in the Summer Term and to meet their Form Tutor
  • Liaison with individual primary SENCOs and attendance at Annual Reviews

For some children or young people who may require additional support with future options:

  • We help SEND students to choose GCSE options in Year 8
  • We advise on choice of college placements as well as Further Education options
  • We help students prepare for college interviews and attend Open Days
  • We support UCAS applications
  • We provide access to a careers adviser

How does the school know how effective the provision for pupils with SEN is?


The SENCO, senior leadership team and governors regularly monitor the provision for SEN by reviewing:

  • Pupil Progress Reports
  • Attendance and exclusion data
  • Quality of teaching, marking and feedback in all subject areas
  • Feedback from pupils, parents and staff
  • Rewards and Sanctions data